This committee shall select the number of scholarships to be given by the Association. They shall set the rules of application, make evaluations, approve and award all scholarships at the annual convention. The committee shall have a maximum of three members.
The number of scholarships awarded each year is dependent on budgeted funds for the year. Scholarships are available for high school seniors planning to attend their first year of college and continuing education for FFAM members.
Scholarship applications can be found below. Applications should be submitted to the Scholarship Committee on or before February 28.
Contact Committee Chairman Larry Eggen at email@example.com
Scholarship Rules – High School Senior
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must be preparing to attend their first year of college.
- Applicant must have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Applicant must enclose a copy of an official high school transcript or equivalent.
- Applicant must be an active member of the FFAM or be a relative of an active FFAM member.
- Applicant must write and attach to the application a 500 word essay describing their interests, experiences and activities that have contributed to their decision to enter their chosen profession.
- Applicant must submit three letters of reference from someone other than family members. If applicant is a member of a fire department, one letter of reference must come from the Chief of the department. Include contact information for those submitting the letters of reference (i.e. telephone number, address, etc.).
- Applicant must enroll in a college or university in Missouri.
Preference will be given based on:
- Family income or need.
- Those choosing to enroll in fire science or emergency services related courses.
- Active members of a Junior or Explorer program.
Scholarship Rules – Continuing Education for FFAM members
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must be an active member of the FFAM.
- Applicant must write and attach to the application a 500 word essay describing how they will benefit from continuing their education and their need for financial assistance.
- Applicant must submit three letters of reference from someone other than family members. One letter of reference must come from the Chief of their member department. Include contact information for those submitting the letters of reference (i.e. telephone number, address, etc.).
- Applicants who received a 1st Year Scholarship are eligible to apply for a Continuing Education Scholarship.
- Funds MUST be used toward continuing education courses in a firefighting or emergency services field, and through an accredited institution for:
a)An accredited certification or licensing
b)CEU’s to be applied toward an accredited certification or licensing
AND/OR c) Continuing education at a college or university in MissouriDownload Continuing Education Scholarship Application
Applications and required documents will be accepted until midnight, February 28th of each year and should be submitted to:
PO Box 1153
Warrensburg, MO 64093
The scholarship funds will be applied directly toward the recipient’s account at the designated college/university after verification of enrollment is received by the FFAM Secretary. Scholarship funds can be used for tuition, books, supplies and equipment required for courses at the educational institution. The FFAM reserves the right to verify proof of acceptable expenditures of the scholarship funds (i.e. receipts, etc.).
The recipient has six months from the award date to present required enrollment information to receive the scholarship funds. In the event that the recipient fails to enroll at their designated college/university within six months of the award date of the scholarship, the scholarship will be forfeited and awarded to a runner-up recipient. Should a recipient change their designated college/university subsequent to receipt of the scholarship award, the scholarship may be rescinded by the Scholarship Committee if, in its sole discretion, it determines that the change would have had a material effect on its decision to award the scholarship in the first place.
Any interpretations, determination and/or disputes not referenced herein will be addressed and resolved by the Scholarship Committee which will have sole discretion with respect to the scholarship program for the Fire Fighters Association of Missouri.
Scholarship recipients will be notified following the application deadline and are invited to attend the annual FFAM convention for presentation, if available.